Skip to main content Skip to search

Useful Information

Your Safety & Well-being

Choosing the right person or company to provide care and support for you or a loved one is not an easy decision. You need someone who is caring with the right knowledge and skills, someone you can rely upon and most importantly someone whom you can trust.

On these pages we guide you through some of the key points you need to be aware of when exploring different options.

+Step 1: Make a list of the day to day activities you would like help with

For example:

  • Having a good morning start to your day – getting up, eating a good breakfast and being ready for the day ahead
  • Companionship or someone to go shopping with or to take you to meet old friends
  • Collecting your medicines from the chemist, perhaps once a fortnight
  • Keeping your home the way you like it, clean and tidy
  • Doing the washing and ironing
  • Preparing nutritious meals
  • Bathing and settling in for a good night’s sleep

Or if you give care for your loved one, you may be looking for the right person to sit with them or even for a care worker to stay overnight and allow you to get some well-earned rest.

+Step 2: Consider how you will pay for the care and support
You may be entitled to financial help towards the cost of a care worker. Who pays and how much will depend the type and amount of care and support you need and the amount of money you have.
You can ask for a community care assessment from the adult social services department of your local council if you need help with essential day to day activities such as personal care, taking your medicines, having drinks and food etc. They have a duty to carry out an assessment of your care needs.
Someone, usually a social worker or care manager, from the adult social services department will visit you at home. They will ask about what you need help with and what you would like to achieve from having a care worker. It is important to be aware that an assessment of ‘need’ may not be the same as assessing what you ‘want’.

The council has to decide whether or not you have ‘eligible’ needs. This refers to needs that can be publicly funded. If the local authority decide that you meet this criteria they will then carry out a financial assessment. The financial assessment will determine whether you are entitled to financial help towards the cost of care and if so, how much.

See our Help with funding page.

+Step 3: Arranging care and support

The council may make arrangements on your behalf with private companies or charities to provide your care and support. Alternatively, you may be making your own arrangements to find a care worker. This might be because the council has:

  • Given you a personal budget to buy your own care and support
  • Decided that you do not meet their eligibility criteria
  • Because you prefer to arrange your care and support independently

The Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) has clear guidance and advice for people who may need care services. You can find this online at

+Step 4: Deciding on a care agency or a personal assistant

If you are looking for care and support at home you need to decide whether you wish to directly employ a personal assistant yourself or if you want to use the services of a domiciliary care agency.

To give you an idea of the different responsibilities, we have produced a comparison of ELMS Health Solutions services with employing a personal assistant yourself:

ELMS Health Solutions Recruits suitable care workers and carries out rigorous checks, for example obtaining references, criminal records checks etc.
Personal Assistant: You are responsible for the hiring process. This includes advertising, interviewing, taking up references and appointment.