Skip to main content Skip to search

Personal Assistants

Personal Assistants

We aim to promote independence using a person-centred approach. A person-centred approach considers people’s strengths aspirations and goals. Personal Assistance varies from someone needing support to transition from residential college or from living with family into the independent living.


  • A personal assistant supports you with a wide range of tasks, helping to increase your independence and make a real difference to your quality of life.
  • A personal assistant is usually employed by people who are directing their own care through a direct payment or personal budgets from the council, or are funding their own support.
  • This is about you having control over your own life, by employing your own staff and organising your own services.

Choose our flexible homecare services, anything from a 15 minute check call, to 24 hour live in care. We can offer short term help (following an illness or because your usual carer is having a break), or longer term homecare and support. Our dedicated team of homecare workers are fully trained to:

The job can be very flexible, offering part-time and full-time work on different days and at different times.

Duties can include:

    • Personal care, including assistance with feeding, bathing, and toileting if required
    • Taking food, refreshment and medication
    • Mobility
    • Bed making
    • Monitoring and recording temperature, pulse, respiration etc.
    • Healthcare tasks such as dressings, catheter management, administration of medication
    • Support to assist with living independently as far as possible, including assistance as necessary with meal preparation, cooking, cleaning and domestic activities, shopping, social and leisure activities, generally assisting with overall comfort and well being
    • Supporting the person while at work
    • Helping to look after children and pets
    • Supporting the person in their chosen activities such as shopping, meeting friends, going on holiday or gaining an education.​

How would I go about employing a personal assistant?

You can make a private arrangement with ELMS yourself directly.

If you would like advice from the council, please contact adult social care to arrange an assessment or a care review if you already have a care package from adult social care.